Support for over 50's (50 plus: Choices)
Our 50+ Choices (Fuller Working Lives) programme aims to help employers to support their workforce from mid-life. It will raise awareness of the benefits of older workers, their skills and experience and help to improve line management education to ensure employees do not need to leave the workforce before they wish to.
- Develop the business case for older workers by raising awareness amongst employers on the benefits brought by these workers and the skills and experience they contribute.
- Improve line management education on why these employees might exit the workforce prematurely and how to address potential issues
- Providing tools to engage older workers in conversation and to offer options for retaining this talent within the workforce. It will also support workers to plan for a timely and more financially-viable retirement.
- Encourage flexible/agile/dynamic working for carers together with practical support to help balance work and caring responsibilities – with a focus on productivity rather than working hours
- Review employee benefits to ensure they are flexible enough for people at all stages of life
- Engage older workers through forums and diversity network groups
- Analyse employee skills and provide re-skilling and training advice
- Actively transfer knowledge between generations and encourage mentoring
- Encourage employees to think about multiple part-time roles and changes to their careers
- Provide good retirement transition preparation
- Support financial planning and education
- Support healthy lifestyles
- Enhance the profile of volunteering and utilising professional skills within the voluntary sector
- Develop partnership models with local colleges – working closely in partnership with industry where there are options for highly skilled members of the workforce looking to re-skill or reshape the end of their careers into further or higher education.
Money and Pensions Service presentation by Alan Nicholls here and video here
Futures For You presentation by Joanne Giles here and video here
Active Norfolk presentation by Katie Tierney here and video here
Mid Life MOT: Information for individuals
- The mid-life MOT: take control of your future now – Your Pension
- A toolkit for Senior and HR Managers to initiate action on age diversity in the workplace
- Developing the mid-life MOT | Centre for Ageing Better
- Toolkit – Age Action Alliance Age Action Alliance
- NHS Health Check – Home
- Health and safety for older workers (hse.gov.uk)
- Views on Managing Age Diverse Workforce | Reports | CIPD
- Acas | Making working life better for everyone in Britain
- Healthy Workplaces – Age Action AllianceAge Action Alliance
- Workplace wellbeing tool
- New Every Mind Matters campaign
- Public Health England
- 50 or over? | Get to know your pension options | Pension Wise
- Careers advice – job profiles, information and resources | National Careers Service
- Providing resources to support employers understand and implement flexible working hours by CIPD
- Information for employers to become an age positive employer
- Supporting carers in employment
- Sport England – get active in the workplace
Sports England are dedicated to improving physical and mental health of individuals and this website offers ideas and a tool kit to help improve your health and wellbeing. Contact via the on-line form here.
- CIPD – supporting working carers
CIPD is a professional body of experts who champion better work and working lives. These links details how the employer can support employees with careering responsibilities. Contact: 020 8612 6200 Email: on-line form via the website
- Federation for Small Businesses
Help small businesses to achieve their ambitions, offering legal advice to businesses banking. Contact: Kathleen Maclean [email protected]
- This Business in the Community (BITC) toolkit on becoming an age friendly employer toolkit explains the actions businesses can take through the lens of five evidenced based areas.
- Occupational health (OH) is a multi-disciplinary approach to maintaining the well-being of those employed in a workplace, preventing and removing ill-health and developing solutions to keep staff with health issues at work. OH professionals provide independent advice on staff unable to work due to long-term or short-term intermittent health problems, and organisational wide steps to reduce sickness absence.
- Energise Me
An interactive, on-line tool kit to support wellbeing, reduce stress, feel more fulfilled that is likely to achieve success in the workplace and life.
- Blue Novation (redundancy support services for Mid-Life+)
Blue Novation’s NewLeaf redundancy support service provides those who are Mid-Life+ with the confidence, tools and techniques to enhance their opportunities of successful re-employment. With the emphasis on providing a supportive environment, NewLeaf enables Mid-Life+ individuals to identify and articulate strengths in their employment history, aim for their next job or look for opportunities in a different career, or retraining opportunities.
For further information visit Bluenovation
Simon Wilkinson from the Department for Work and Pensions talks about the Fuller Working Lives initiative, as part in the RESTART Festival.