Local Transport Board Meeting Note
10.30-12.30 Wednesday 1st March 2017
Cranworth Room, County Hall, Norwich
Board Attendance:
Giles Perkins
Peter Ramsey
Margot Tancred
Norfolk County Council
Kathryn Deacon
Norfolk County Council
Ali Clabburn
Johnathan Denby
Greater Anglia
Steve Wickers
First Group
Paul Horne
Suffolk County Council
Graeme Mateer
Suffolk County Council
Sue Roper
Suffolk County Council
Cllr Guy McGregor
Suffolk County Council
Paul Davey
Felixstowe Port
Richard Perkins
Suffolk Chamber of Commerce
Richard Pace
Norwich International Airport
Cllr Stuart Clancy
Norfolk County Council
Cllr Martin Wilby
Norfolk County Council
Mark Pendlington
New Anglia LEP
Chris Starkie
New Anglia LEP
Emily Manser
New Anglia LEP
Christopher Soule
Country Land Owners and Business
Amelia Brookman
Highways England
Nigel Allsopp
Highways England
David Cumming
Norfolk County Council
Vince Muspratt
Norfolk County Council
Philip Broadbent-Yale
Gerard Whelan
James Cutting
East of England Programme Manager
(Wider South East Collaboration
Programme on Infrastructure and
Dan Aylward
Hannah Grimes
Norfolk County Council
Public attendance:
Carolyn Barnes
Suffolk Coastal and Waveney District
Justin Segrave-Daly
Waveney District Council
Michael Newsham
Ipswich Borough Council
Page 1 of 6
Andrew Bell
Norwich International Airport
Caroline Williams
Norfolk Chamber of Commerce
Charles Horton
GT Railway
Chris Wiggan
Stansted Airport
Cllr James Finch
Suffolk County Council
Jamie Burles
Greater Anglia
John Dugmore
Suffolk Chamber of Commerce
Larry Heyman
GT Railway
Richard Schofield
Network Rail
Richard Tunnicliffe
Confederation of British industry
Karl Murphy
Dave Watson
Suffolk County Council
Martin Fellows
Highways England
Oliver Starbuck
East Midlands Trains
Rob Bellamy
Ipswich Buses
1. Welcome and Introductions
The Chair welcomed delegates and gave his apologies - he will be leaving at 11:45
but a replacement Chair (Cllr Martin Wilby) will be taking over.
2. Minutes and Matters Arising
The December 1st minutes were agreed.
Due to travel disruptions, it was agreed to postpone items 3, 4 and 6 of the agenda
until the relevant delegates could arrive at the meeting.
Two actions from the December 1st minutes were discussed. The East Midlands
meeting has not yet occurred, so this action will continue to next month. The East
Midlands consultation has yet to happen - David Cumming will contact all those
involved once this has happened.
A brief report on the Local Transport Body meeting, held March 1st 2017 from
9:00am to 10:30am was given for the benefit of those who were not present. There
has been approximately £8 million approved to four projects, including the Great
Yarmouth Rail Interchange, the Norwich Guardian Road junction and Ipswich radial.
The LEP will recommend to the LEP Board that £3.3 million be allocated towards the
Ely area rail enhancements.
5. Growth Deal
Chris Starkie outlined that £69 million has been received for Growth Deal Three from
central government (Growth Deal parts 1 and 2 were awarded a total of £220
million). There are around 28 projects active at the moment, in addition to the four
agreed upon in the Body meeting on the 1st March. The £69 million for Growth Deal
Page 2 of 6
three is the fourth or fifth biggest of the LEP allocations so far, secured by the
deliverability of the schemes and the potential private sector leverage. Of this £69
million, £10 million is allocated to the Lowestoft flood defences, £10 million to the
Norwich northern distributor road, £15 million to an innovation and productivity fund,
£12m to an Enterprise Zone Accelerator fund and £22 million to capital infrastructure
funds. This funding is likely to arrive in 2018/19 - 2020/21.
Following this update, Cllr Martin Wilby flagged up the three Norfolk highways
projects agreed as priorities: Long Stratton bypass, Norwich Western Link and Great
Yarmouth Third Rive Crossing. He hoped that these would receive future funding.
Cllr Guy McGregor raised the importance of funding work on Lowestoft Bridge. This
will become more important if the construction of Sizewell C goes ahead. Also
flagged up for future discussion was the constant cost of maintaining roads in Norfolk
and Suffolk.
The Chair noted that the Local Transport Body pipeline prioritisation project,
discussed in the Local Transport Body meeting of 1st March 2017, would be of use
here. This will be discussed in the next meeting in June.
ACTION: SCC will conduct an initial study of the A140 and all will consider the issue
of prioritisation.
David Cumming noted that the Integrated Transport Strategy would be a valuable
document in setting out the potential of the area and the transport investments
required. Richard Perkins agreed and noted that the DfT Executive Committee had
noted the absence of such a strategy in their recent visit. A Board member asked if
there had been any outcomes from this. It was suggested that a Westminster visit
should be arranged in the near future and the Chair stated the importance of
continuous lobbying.
The Chair reminded the delegates that there are other ways of funding as opposed
to just publically financed funding. It is important to make funds go further, as the
money available to spend is limited. Thus far this has been done efficiently.
ACTION: The New Anglia LEP investment map will be circulated with the minutes to
provide an overview.
ACTION: The Board will follow-up the Executive Committee visit for an update.
4. Integrated Transport Strategy
Giles Perkins from Mouchel gave a presentation, which is summarised below and
circulated with the minutes. The presentation covered expected and possible
changes and strategies up to 2030, then covered an overview of possible scenarios
for 2030 and finished with the possible next steps in 2040 and beyond. The main
changes are technological (increases in digital infrastructure, automation, changes in
transport technology) and changes in employment models (such as the spread of
peak travel times, increase in people working remotely).
Page 3 of 6
The key features of the presentation were stated to be policy and agility. The
importance of agility and deliverability in order for people to have confidence was
stressed. The question was raised if it would make any sense to retain some money
for agile work, if the need arises to act quickly.
The Chair requested that questions and comments be reserved for the Transport
Strategy Reference Group after this meeting.
3. Sustrans Deep Dive
Philip Broadbent-Yale from Sustrans gave a presentation, which is summarised
below and circulated with the minutes. He introduced Sustrans as a company and
went over some of their recent accomplishments. The economic benefits of cycling
were stressed, in particular the contribution of £2.9 billion to the UK in 2015 with 3.6
million bikes sold that year, as was the various health and social benefits of cycling
schemes. He also covered the benefit cost ratio of the cycle city scheme, it having a
5.5:1 benefit cost ratio. In comparison, the Norwich Northern Distributor Road has a
4.1:1 ratio.
6. Wider South East Planning
James Cutting gave a presentation on planning within the wider south-eastern area
encompassing London, the East and the South East, which is summarised below
and circulated with the minutes. This would involve engagement between all three
areas and co-operative working on road and rail strategic corridor routes as well as
co-operative lobbying opportunities.
The possibility of integrating work on the A47 was raised. James Cutting
acknowledges that this is a notable absence. The work being done now is a first step
and expansions beyond this will come up later in the year. It was also noted that this
is a good intermediary to the sub-national transport body. Knowing priorities from this
establishes a good position to go back to central government. However, it is
important to make sure that the individual voices of Suffolk and Norfolk are not lost.
The Board now needs to provide ongoing support, information sharing and
assistance in identifying the critical next stages.
7. Airports National Policy Statement Consultation
Richard Pace gave a presentation which is summarised below and circulated with
the minutes. The draft Airports National Policy Statement consultation closes on 25th
May 2017 - any questions on this need to be submitted as soon as possible. The
Airspace consultation on noise was also covered, and was the Aviation strategy,
which is not yet published.
ACTION: All - any responses to the draft Airports National Policy Statement need to
be submitted as soon as possible to Richard Pace. In addition please send any
Page 4 of 6
comments to David Cumming to allow NCC to draft a response on the Local
Transport Board’s behalf. Please send any comments by Monday 27th March.
8. Updates
8.1 Greater Anglia Rail Plan
The importance of keeping this infrastructure going was stressed, along with the
importance of ensuring that Network Rail keeps in view what we want to be done.
8.2 NALEP Board
Chris Starkie outlined that evidence is being gathered and specialist support
procured for the development of a new economic strategy. This will be finished in
March/April, the document will be drafted in June/July and the first draft published
towards the end of the summer.
8.3 Local Transport Major Schemes
All the schemes are on track, with the business case for Great Yarmouth Third River
Crossing due to be submitted at the end of March and construction due to begin in
the early 2020s.
8.4 Sub National Transport Bodies
There will be a dedicated meeting on 30th March to discuss this amongst
representatives of the local authorities concerned.
8.5 Road
Nigel Allsopp reported that the works on renumbering the A12 as the A47 between
Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft are almost complete. The A47 schemes due to be
constructed as part of the Roads Investment Strategy (RIS) 1consultation will begin
in March. Nigel reported that work continues on development of a programme for
RIS2 (2020-2025) and thanked those who submitted evidence last year. The LEP
will respond to the A12 and A120 consultation after the deadline.
8.6 Air
Richard Pace reported that Norwich Airport is growing well, with a masterplan to be
circulated to stakeholders in due course.
8.7 Rail
Jonathan Denby outlined that, due to previous investing in the existing fleets, they
are now much more reliable. The local units (Class 170) are now 15-18 years old
and so there is a major refurbishment programme underway. The programme to
Page 5 of 6
deliver new trains by 2019/20 is on schedule. A £70 million investment will result in a
new maintenance/service depot at Brantham near Manningtree.
Issues were raised about seating, safety, provision of toilets and catering on the new
stock and inner-city rolling stock. A request was made to see the seating layout of
this stock. There are some steps to address these issues, however more detail and a
timeline will not be known until nearer the time.
The importance of consistency of messaging on key projects was re-iterated.
8.8 Ports
No updates.
8.9 Buses
No new updates, but the mention of smaller sized buses in the Integrated Transport
Strategy presentation was highlighted. Issues surrounding disabled access on buses
were also highlighted.
8.10 Liftshare
Ali Clabburn reported that nationally car sharing journeys are set to double from 1
million to 2 million. Locally, it was introduced at Anglian Water and 40% of staff
signed up within two weeks. Co-operation with sites such as the Norfolk and Norwich
Hospital and organisations such as Park & Ride, cycling schemes and Stagecoach is
progressing well. In the future, there may be an opportunity to present to the
Department for Transport and civil servants to bring attention to this scheme.
9. AOB
There was no other business.
Items for next agenda - Buses deep dive - all.
10. Date of next meeting
10:30-12:30 Tuesday 6th June in Ipswich
Page 6 of 6