New Anglia Board Meeting Minutes (Confirmed)
25th September 2019
Sam Chapman-Allen (SC)
Breckland Council
Claire Cullens (CC)
Norfolk Community Foundation
David Ellesmere (DE)
Ipswich Borough Council
Doug Field (DF)
East of England Coop
Matthew Hicks (MH)
Suffolk County Council
John Griffiths (JG)
West Suffolk Council
Pete Joyner (PJ)
Shorthose Russell
Dominic Keen (DK)
Helen Langton (HL)
University of Suffolk
Andrew Proctor (AP)
Norfolk County Council
Johnathan Reynolds (JR)
Nikos Savvas (NS)
West Suffolk College
Alan Waters (AW)
Norwich City Council
Jeanette Wheeler (JW)
Tim Whitley (TW)
Louise Aynsley (LA)
Suffolk County Council
Shan Lloyd (SL)
Josh Fedder (JF)
Jai Raithatha (JaR)
Suffolk County Council
Vince Muspratt (VM)
Norfolk County Council
Chris Dashper (CD)
New Anglia LEP - For Items 8 and 9
Julian Munson (JM)
New Anglia LEP - For Item 5
Lisa Roberts (LiR)
New Anglia LEP - For Item 6
Chris Starkie (CS)
New Anglia LEP
Rosanne Wijnberg (RW)
New Anglia LEP
Helen Wilton (HW)
New Anglia LEP
Actions from the meeting: (25.9.19)
Action Log
Enterprise Zones
Details of the overall EZ investment and the funding split to be provided
A confidential update on the stalled sites to be provided to the Board
Local Industrial Strategy
A one page summary of the key points of the LIS to be distributed to board members
Revised forward to be circulated to board members
Apprenticeship Levy Transfer Pool
To be added to the reporting cycle and included as a major board item along with the skills
CO2 Action Plan to be added to the forward plan
Details of funding streams and relative timescales to be produced
Welcome from the Chair
Doug Field (DF) welcomed everyone to the meeting
Apologies were received from Steve Oliver, Lindsey Rix and Sandy Ruddock
Declarations of Interest
Full declarations of interest can be found at
Minutes of the last meeting 23rd July 2019
The minutes were accepted as a true record of the meeting held on 23rd July 2019.
Actions from last meeting updated as follows:
UEA Enterprise Fund - Chris Starkie (CS) reminded board members that there was still a
vacancy on the Enterprise Fund Board. Claire Cullens (CC) and Dominic Keen (DK)
expressed and interest and it was agreed that they would rotate the role between them.
Enterprise Zones
Julian Munson (JM) presented the Board with an update on the Enterprise Zones (EZs).
JM provided high level details of each of the current EZs highlighting the levels of investment
and noting any ongoing issues with the sites.
The board was advised that the development of EZs has provided the dual advantage of
allowing local firms to expand as well as attracting new companies to the area.
DK asked for further details about the tenants occupying the sites and the split between
smaller and larger companies. The board was advised that there was an even split between
business types and that sites and prospective tenants were reviewed on a case by case basis
on application.
Tim Whitley (TW) asked if the total investment could be provided including a public and
private split and also splitting the figures between the Norfolk and Suffolk EZs.
ACTION: Details of the overall investment and the funding split to be provided
David Ellesmere (DE) noted that most Ipswich EZs were very successful and that although
progress had been very slow on the Island Site he felt that steps were now being taken and
would like the site to retain its status.
The Board discussed those sites which were being promoted at MIPIM in October.
Pete Joyner (PJ) asked if there were any requests from prospective tenants which could not
be met. JM advised that there was limited offer available in terms of residential and student
accommodation as most of the sites offered industrial units or offices.
ACTION: A confidential update on the stalled sites to be provided to the Board
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report and presentation
To receive updates on the stalled EZ sites and also details of the total investment split by
private / public investment and into Norfolk and Suffolk EZs
Local Industrial Strategy
Lisa Roberts (LiR) provided the Board with the background to the introduction of Local
Industrial Strategies (LIS) and the work undertaken by the LEP to produce the LIS for Norfolk
and Suffolk.
The approach was agreed by the Board in September 2018 and the process has included
extensive collaboration between partners which has included partner summits and 3 leaders’
The updated evidence base, along with these sessions, have highlighted key themes and
emerging interventions. LiR advised that the evidence base has been scrutinised by
Government and the link from evidence to interventions has been praised.
The draft LIS has been issued to partners and the 70 pages of feedback received has been
reviewed and changes incorporated where possible. LiR confirmed that the structure of the
document has been laid down by Government and is not subject to change.
LiR highlighted the key strategic opportunities identified in the LIS and noted that partners
were keen to progress many of the interventions as soon as possible. Work is ongoing to
identify funding sources to support these opportunities.
LiR noted that the inclusion of the digital sector as a unique area of opportunity was originally
challenged by Government and she thanked partners for providing the additional evidence
which supported its inclusion.
LiR provided high level information on the key areas of the LIS.
PJ noted that 3 specific sectors where highlighted and it made sense to concentrate on those
areas of the economy where we are unique but noted that other sectors ie tourism may feel
alienated. LiR agreed and confirmed that a tourism action plan would be produced and
further work would also incorporate the voluntary sector to ensure inclusion.
DE congratulated LiR and her team on the work carried out and noted the limitations imposed
by Government. He asked for amendments to be made to the infrastructure links so that they
noted that investment was required to realise these opportunities. He also asked for
reference to the Cambridge - Ipswich - Norwich triangle to be included.
TW also expressed his support for the work and confirmed that Adastral Pak had been
identified as the leading source of patents in the country. TW noted that the forward
reinforced the idea of the area being a leading agriculture area and that ICT was not
mentioned. He proposed that the forward should be revised to make it more cutting edge.
LiR advised that the amendments requested by the Board will be made and the LIS will then
be submitted to Government for review. The exact process for this review be still being
agreed but on completion any amendments will be incorporated.
ACTION: The revised forward is to be circulated to board members
Matthew Hicks (MH) noted that the endorsement process for local authorities had posed
challenges given that the LIS was still being revised during the process.
CS advised that format for the process had been put to chief executives and that both
counties had produced different proposals for endorsement.
Jeanette Wheeler (JW) asked what the key areas of focus would be for the Board and asked
for them to be included in a future report back to the Board.
Helen Langton (HL) reitereated this and asked for a one page summary to be provided to the
Board to ensure that a clear message is communicated.
ACTION: A one page summary of the key points of the LIS to be distributed to board
DF proposed that the Chair and the CEO should have the authority to make minor
amendments to the LIS with any more significant changes being returned to the Board for
The draft LIS was endorsed by the Board who requested to receive a copy of the final version
which will be submitted to Government.
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report
To endorse and sign off the Norfolk and Suffolk Local Industrial Strategy subject to the
amendments agreed at the meeting
To delegate authority to make minor amendments to the LEP Chair and CEO with major
changes to be returned to the LEP Board for approval
To receive the revised Foreward and a one page summary of the key points
Apprenticeships Levy Transfer Pool
CS presented the proposal to the meeting which provides further details of the business case
as requested at the July board meeting.
The meeting discussed the challenges faced in creating and filling apprenticeships.
It was noted that it was important that those businesses using the fund were recognised. The
scheme also needs to be incorporated into the reporting schedule.
ACTION: The Apprenticeship Levy Transfer Pool is to be added to the reporting cycle and
included as a major board item when the skill update is provided
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report
To endorse the outlined business plan
To endorse a further £60,000 of funds to allow support to continue for an additional year
To receive future reports on the outputs of the scheme
Innovative Projects Fund
Chris Dashper (CD) presented the proposal which requested an annual allocation of £500k to
the programme for 2019/20 and 2020/21 from LEP funds.
The board was advised that, following the successful first call of the Innovative Projects Fund,
local authority partners in Norfolk and Suffolk agreed to match the LEP’s funding allocation
through their respective pooled business rates. This has resulted in a £1.5 million pot being
made available to prospective projects under a 2019/20 call.
It was noted that during the last call the applicants had been local authorities and this time
there would be increased promotion to SMEs to attract more applicants from businesses.
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report
To approve the establishment of the £1.5m Innovative Projects Fund jointly with local
authorities from Norfolk and Suffolk
To approve the new governance arrangement including the Terms of Reference
To approve the launch of a 2019/20 Innovative Projects Fund Call in October 2019
Voluntary and Community Sector
CD presented the paper providing the board an update on the LEP’s Voluntary and
Community Sector Challenge Fund.
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report
CS reviewed the latest Brexit report and updated the board on the funding being allocated by
Government to support businesses.
It is proposed that, rather than the LEP running extra events for companies, the LEP will
supporting those already being run such as those organised by the Chambers of Commerce.
CS advised that Government has made 3 offers of funding to aid Growth Hubs to provide
various elements of business support but that some funding must be used end by the end of
October therefore the LEP is assessing the benefits of this support to ensure that is is used
CS advised that there has been a slow down in applications to the funding programmes and
the LEP is proposing the establishment of a taskforce to provide support for businesses
facing short term difficulties following Brexit.
Andrew Proctor (AP) expressed concern about the use of public funds to support ailing
businesses and highlighted the challenges in applying criteria to funding requests.
He expressed support for providing advice but not funding. This view was supported by John
Griffiths (JG).
CS proposed bringing further details back to the October board meeting.
JW agreed that this was a difficult area but that the LEP had supported businesses in the past
who faced short term issues.
AP agreed that the funding could be used to provide further capacity to support companies.
DE suggested that the proposed criteria for funding applications be brought to the next board
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report
To receive details of the funding criteria at the October board meeting
Working Agreement with the Cambridge and Peterborough Combined Authority
CS presented the paper and the agreement which had been drafted by CPCA.
DE asked whether the agreement could be amended and asked for the inclusion of the
development of the East-West Rail link to Ipswich.
JG suggested it was reviewed by the Economic Development Officers to update the
agreement to include local developments.
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report
To approve the agreement subject to the above amendments
Chief Executive’s Report
CS asked for questions from the board on the report.
He updated the board on Kwasi Kwateng’s visit to Lowestoft and confirmed that he had raised
the issue of the impact of wind farms on Suffolk coastal villages.
CS reviewed Appendix A which requested approval of the investment in the Anglia Capital
Group by New Anglia Capital which is a reallocation of existing funds.
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report
September Programme Performance Reports including Dashboards
Rosanne Wijnberg (RW) reviewed the reports for September and highlighted key areas.
RW noted that excellent progress has been made in catching up on the underspend from last
Nikos Savvas (NS) noted that the target for providing homes was 2026 and asked how the
shortfall would be met. CS noted this target was in line with those set by local authorities and
the LEP would work with them to support them meeting the targets.
The Board agreed:
To note the contents of the report
Board Forward Plan
CS reviewed the Forward Plan and asked for requests for additional items.
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the plan
Any Other Business
Johnathan Reynolds (JR) asked when the action plan for targeting CO2 reduction will be
ACTION: Action plan to be added to the forward plan - HW
DK asked for details of the various funding streams detailing when each pot will run out.
ACTION: Details of funding stream and their relative timescales to be produced - CD
Next meeting:
Date and time of next meeting:
10.00am - 12.30pm, 30th October 2019
Venue: The Main Auditorium, The Carnegie, Cage Lane, Thetford, IP24 2EA