New Anglia Board Meeting Minutes (Confirmed)
19th September 2018
David Ellesmere (DE)
Ipswich Borough Council
Doug Field (DF)
East of England Coop
John Griffiths (JG)
St Edmundsbury Borough Council
Matthew Hicks (MH)
Suffolk County Council
Dominic Keen (DK)
High Growth Robotics
William Nunn (WN)
Breckland District Council
Steve Oliver (SO)
MLM Group
Andrew Proctor (AP)
Norfolk County Council
Johnathan Reynolds (JR)
Lindsey Rix (LR)
Sandy Ruddock (SR)
Scarlett & Mustard
Alan Waters (AW)
Norwich City Council
Jeanette Wheeler (JW)
Tim Whitley (TW)
In Attendance:
John Last (JL)
NUA (For David Richardson)
Corrienne Peasgood (CP)
Norwich City College (For Nikos Savvas)
Vince Muspratt (VM)
Norfolk County Council
Sue Roper (SuR)
Suffolk County Council
Shan Lloyd (SL)
Abigail Cunnliffe-Hall (AC)
Fiona Wright (FW)
CMS (For Item 5)
Neil Prentice (NP)
Jacob Bailey (For Item 5)
Chris Dashper (CD)
New Anglia LEP (For Item 12)
Julian Munson (JM)
New Anglia LEP (For Item 5)
Lisa Roberts (LiR)
New Anglia LEP (For Items 6 and 7)
Chris Starkie (CS)
New Anglia LEP
Rosanne Wijnberg (RW)
New Anglia LEP
Helen Wilton (HW)
New Anglia LEP
Actions from the meeting: (19.09.18)
Brexit Analysis: Brexit to be added to the Board Forward Plan in November
Eastern Agri-Tech: CS to present a paper at the October Board on the options available
To provide an update on the delivery timescales of major infrastructure projects including East
West Rail
Performance Reports: Investigate whether the addition of a percentage of financial slippage
would be relevant
Welcome from the Chair
Doug Field (DF) welcomed everyone to the meeting including Corrienne Peasgood deputising for Nikos
Savvas, John Last deputising for David Richardson and Abigail Cunnliffe-Hall from BEIS. DF also
welcomed Fiona Wright from CMS and Neil Prentice from Jacob Bailey.
Apologies were received from: Nikos Savvas and David Richardson
DF proposed bringing forward Item 5 on the agenda.
Place Brand Development for Norfolk and Suffolk
Steve Oliver (SO) introduced the place branding presentation and thanked Julian Munson &
Hayley Mace for their work carried out to date.
He advised the Board that a steering group had been established to progress the next steps
and requested feedback from the board on the proposals.
Fiona Wright (FW) and Neil Prentice (NP) provided the meeting with a presentation on the
place branding experience of both agencies and gave an introduction to their proposals
and the timeline for reporting back to the Board.
The Board was advised that work would begin immediately with stakeholder sessions already
planned for October with completion by the end of January 2019. The final project findings will
be presented to the Board in February 2019.
The Board agreed:
 To note the content of the presentation
Declarations of Interest
Full declarations of interest can be found at 30TU . U30T
DF declared an interest in the investments in Novafarina and Supapass as detailed in the New Anglia
Capital report.
He also noted that the Co-Op do work with Jacob Bailey although he was not part of the branding tender
Minutes of the last meeting 20th June 2018
The minutes were accepted as a true record of the meeting held on 20th June 2018.
Actions from previous meetings updated as follows:
Brexit Analysis: Lindsey Rix (LR) requested an update on the LEP’s response to the
uncertainties facing businesses regarding Brexit. The Board agreed that this was a major issue
and the LEP needed to be proactive in proving support. Chris Starkie (CS) proposed adding
an item to the Board forward plan. It was agreed that this would be included in November.
Andrew Proctor (AP) requested the item be expanded to include the impact on Local
Authorities as well as businesses.
Lisa Roberts (LiR) updated the meeting on the LEP’s ongoing work and Brexit analysis carried
out to date.
Agri-Tech: CS advised the Board that the Combined Authority Business Board was due to hold
its initial meeting on 24th September and a paper on funding of the Agri-tech initiative would go
to its November Board. Given the delay in receiving a response from the Combined Authority
DF asked CS to produce a paper on the options available to the New Anglia LEP. This will be
presented at the October Board.
Brexit Analysis: Brexit to be added to the Board Forward Plan in November
Eastern Agri-Tech: CS to present a paper at the October Board on the options available.
Economic Strategy Delivery Plan
LiR updated the Board on the work carried out to date to progress the Economic Strategy
delivery plan since the publication of the strategy in the Autumn of 2017.
The Board was advised that the Economic Strategy Delivery Coordinating Board (ESDCB) had
been established and met for the first time on 4th September. It would continue to meet every
6-8 weeks to oversee the delivery of the plan.
LiR advised that the concept of game changer opportunities had emerged through the
engagement sessions which are those with the potential to deliver significant progress towards
LiR requested that the Board approve the Game Changers Approach to the delivery of the
strategy. On approval the LEP team will progress work to identify those opportunities and build
plans for their delivery.
AP supported the approach and asked how the game changers had been identified to date and
what others has been considered.
LiR advised that the specific game changers had not yet been identified and this would form
part of the next stage of the work.
The meeting discussed the importance of infrastructure to the delivery of the plans and LiR
noted that the smart infrastructure ran through all the opportunities presented.
David Ellesmere (DE) asked how the make up of the Board had been agreed and whether the
priority growth areas would be included.
Alan Waters (AW) expressed concern that the urban areas did not have a specific place on the
CS advised that Local Authorities had been asked to put forward place representatives. He
advised that, when requested, the Norfolk Chief Executives had provided details of their
representatives and the Suffolk Growth Board agreed those from Suffolk.
LiR advised that there was a rotating vacant seat on the Board whereby the Suffolk Chief
Executives could attend depending on the agenda of the meeting.
Vince Muspratt (VM) confirmed that for Norfolk there was a rotating representative who
represented Greater Norwich.
The Board agreed:
 To note the progress the development of the Economic Strategy delivery plan for the
Economic Strategy
 To adopt the concept of developing Game Changers.
 That the ESDCB should also coordinate development of the Local Industrial Strategy
Local Industrial Strategy
LiR presented the paper to the Board detailing the context for Local Industrial Strategies, its
link with the Economic Strategy and the proposed approach to developing a Local
Industrial Strategy for Norfolk and Suffolk.
LiR noted that Government have advised all LEPs to produce a Local Industrial Strategy and
Shan Lloyd (SL) confirmed that while the sign off strategy had yet to be agreed it would include
analysis of the evidence used in the production of the strategy.
The LEP aims to produce its strategy by Autumn 2019 however guidance is constantly being
taken from Government.
Corrienne Peasgood (CP) noted that a local strategy needed to include developments at a
national level to assess how they can be incorporated locally.
CS stated that the strategy needed to identify specific areas where the New Anglia area held a
distinct position and the work would continue to drill down in the sectors identified to date to
focus on the areas of distinctness.
Tim Whitley (TW) agreed that it was vital to identify those areas that Norfolk and Suffolk lead
on a national level.
LR made the observation that there seemed be a conflict between productivity and innovation
between the Local Industrial strategy and the UK Shared Prosperity Fund.
LiR confirmed that work would continue to expand the evidence base and leaders would have
the opportunity to review the work at 3 different stages.
The meeting discussed the complexity of the funding available.
SO thanked the LEP team for their work and expressed his support for the approach and noted
it was vital to identify those opportunities which would provide a compelling argument to
Government for funding.
John Last (JL) noted the importance of highlighting those sectors which, although not
necessarily the largest, would affect the position of the region at a national level.
The Board agreed:
 To note the content of the report
 To agree the approach to developing the Local Industrial Strategy.
LEP Review
CS presented the paper included in the meeting pack detailing the key requirements for the
LEP Review and the impact on New Anglia LEP.
A key issue to resolve is the removal of overlaps. New Anglia LEP is proposing to retain its
existing geography.
The Board was informed that those areas of Norfolk and Suffolk currently covered by both New
Anglia and the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (CA) have advised that
they intend to remain with the New Anglia LEP and the process to ratify this decision is
At the same time the CA is likely to make its LEP boundaries coterminous with its own thus
removing the overlap.
SO asked what strengthening links with the CA would mean in practice.
CS advised that this had yet to be decided but could take the form of an overriding formal
agreement or agreements on specific issues where combined working was beneficial to all
The Board agreed:
 To note the content of the report and the recommendations of the LEP review
 To agree the LEP submission on geography
Chief Executive’s Report
CS presented his report to the Board and highlighted key items.
Johnathan Reynolds (JR) updated the Board on a meeting held with the UEA on CO2
reduction targets and their inclusion in the Economic Strategy with the aim of targeting specific
areas producing the greatest results.
JL asked for an update on East West Rail. CS confirmed that the LEP was now a full member
of the consortium but that the last meeting had focussed on the central area. Further details
will be provided in the future. The Board requested further details of the delivery timescales.
ACTION: LEP Infrastructure Manager Ellen Goodwin (EG) will be asked to provide an update
on the delivery timescales for this and other major infrastructure projects.
CS reviewed progress on sector deals noting the difficulty in becoming involved in some areas
such as life sciences.
AP queried the slippage on Growth Deal spend as it had been described as significant at the
Audit and Risk Committee meeting. CS confirmed that the slippage was significant but that
work was ongoing to manage it.
Matthew Hicks (MH) queried the timing of the visit to Holland in January given that Brexit would
take place shortly after. CS advised that there was already an event planned at this time
therefore the visit coincided with existing plans.
MH asked how previous attendance at MIPIM had been benchmarked. CS advised that
feedback was provided to the Board and metrics on leads were collected.
JW asked if longer term outputs could be tracked and reported back to the Board.
JR also asked whether any learning from MIPIM could be transferred to other similar events.
The Board agreed:
 To note the content of the report
 To receive up update on delivery timescales for the East West Rail project and other
major infrastructure projects
Programme Performance Reporting
Rosanne Wijnberg (RW) presented her report as included in the meeting pack which addresses
the recommendations made by PWC.
LR queried the reporting cycle and format for the New Anglia Capital (NAC) report and
requested a more formal process. The current bi-annual report was agreed to be appropriate
and RW agreed to include this in the reporting cycle.
The Board agreed:
 To note the content of the report
 To approve the reporting cycle with the inclusion of NAC
 To approve the reporting template
September Programme Performance Reports
RW presented the reports included in the meeting pack.
RW reviewed the Growth Deal Performance Report in detail.
Sandy Ruddock (SR) requested clarification of the level of slippage and asked if a percentage
of the slippage would be relevant.
CD reviewed the NAC report as included in the meeting papers.
The Board agreed:
 To note the content of the reports
 To approve the Growth Deal Quarterly Dashboard
 For RW to investigate whether the addition of a percentage of slippage would be relevant
Finance Report
RW reviewed the finance report and asked for questions from the Board.
RW advised the Board that the AGM would be asked to confirm that the authority to agree
remuneration of the auditors and the responsibility to appoint new auditors be delegated to the
RW confirmed that the Audit and Risk Committee had gone out for tender and had held a panel
with Price Bailey recommended as the new auditors.
The Board agreed:
 To note the content of the report
Board Forward Plan
CS reviewed the items to be covered at the October Board meeting
The Board agreed:
 To note the content of the plan
Any Other Business
DF reviewed the agenda of the AGM which would follow the Board Meeting.
John Griffiths (HG) highlighted the upcoming West Suffolk Business Festival and also the Building
Foundations event on 16th October and invited Board members to attend.
Next meeting:
Date and time of next meeting:
10.00am - 12.30pm, 18th October 2018
Venue: Sizewell B Visitor Centre, Leiston, Sizewell, IP16 4UR