New Anglia Board Meeting Minutes (Confirmed)
18th October 2018
Doug Field (DF)
East of England Coop
Dominic Keen (DK)
High Growth Robotics
Johnathan Reynolds (JR)
David Richardson (DR)
University of East Anglia
Lindsey Rix (LR)
Sandy Ruddock (SR)
Scarlett & Mustard
Nikos Savvas (NS)
West Suffolk College
Jeanette Wheeler (JW)
In Attendance:
Martin Wilby (MW)
Norfolk County Council (For Andrew Proctor)
Mark Bee (MB)
East Suffolk Coastal & Waveney Council (For John Griffiths)
Kevin Maguire (KM)
Norwich City Council (For Alan Waters)
Tom McGarry (TM)
EDF Energy - For Item 3
Jacqueline Bircham (JM)
Norwich Opportunity Area - For Item 6
Vince Muspratt (VM)
Norfolk County Council
Shan Lloyd (SL)
Chris Dashper (CD)
New Anglia LEP (For Items 9 & 10)
Chris Starkie (CS)
New Anglia LEP
Rosanne Wijnberg (RW)
New Anglia LEP
Helen Wilton (HW)
New Anglia LEP
Actions from the meeting: (18.10.18)
To receive details of the impact of Brexit on current LEP Projects
Capital Growth Programme Call
To build a process into the call to ensure that all applicants receive a timely response
LEP Review
To receive clarification re the term of appointment for education members following the
Welcome from the Chair
Doug Field (DF) welcomed everyone to the meeting including Martin Wilby, Mark Bee and Kevin
Maguire who were deputising for Andrew Proctor, John Griffiths and Alan Waters respectively.
DF thanked Tom McGarry for hosting the Board meeting at Sizewell.
Apologies were received from: David Ellesmere, John Griffiths, Matthew Hicks, Steve Oliver,
Andrew Proctor, William Nunn, Alan Waters and Tim Whitley.
Welcome to Sizewell
Tom McGarry (TM) provided the meeting with an update on the Sizewell C project advising
that the next phase of consultation was due to start in January 2019 with the planning
application to be submitted in 2020 and construction due to start 2021.
The presentation covered the plan to replicate large amounts of Hinkley Power Station when
building Sizewell C in order to reduce costs.
TM discussed the skills requirements for the project and the ongoing work to meet shortfalls.
TM stressed the benefits of Sizewell C and requested support from the Board in promoting
the project.
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the presentation
Declarations of Interest
Full declarations of interest can be found at .
Item 9 - Capital Growth Programme Call: Nikos Savvas and David Richardson.
Minutes of the last meeting 19th September 2018
The minutes were accepted as a true record of the meeting held on 19th September 2018.
Opportunity Areas
Jackie Bircham (JB) presented the Board with an overview of the Norwich and Ipswich
Opportunity Areas (OAs) which had been identified as areas facing challenges to social
mobility based on the Social Mobility Commission’s Index. The Board was advised that the
OA projects will run for 3 years after which findings will be implemented as appropriate to
other areas of the country.
JB reviewed the priority areas identified in both Ipswich and Norwich and the Board watched
a video on the work carried out in the Norwich Opportunity area.
JB stressed that the work to date had showed that there was no lack of aspiration in young
children in these areas but they needed to be shown the route to achieve them.
Jeanette Wheeler (JW) asked about the impact of the lack of SENCO support given the
numbers of pupils identified as needing further help with their learning.
JB advised that the Inclusion Charter considered this issue and noted that schools had been
asked to come up with proposals regarding what would make a difference to pupils which
could include addressing this problem.
Kevin Maguire (KM) asked about the impact of the proposed closures of the Childrens
Centres should they proceed.
JB agreed that this would be an issue as the original plan had been to contact the relevant
families via the Childrens Centres. The project is now having to consider other ways to
reach out to the relevant children and families wherever they are rather than focussing on
the centres. This could include supermarkets and other community venues.
As a member of the Ipswich OA Board Nikos Savvas (NS) updated the meeting on the
challenges the OAs faced with the limited funding available to them.
Sandy Ruddock (SR) noted the importance of good diet and regular exercise on the ability
to learn and suggested that the latter issue could be implemented with minimal cost.
JB agreed but noted the challenges schools face in delivering the main curriculum meant
that they often focussed on this even though exercise could help their educational
achievements. JB noted that research was being carried out and when the evidence was
produced on the results of programmes such as the Daily Mile it may be incorporated in the
NS stressed that the OAs had no power to change the curriculum or force schools to adopt
any of the measures suggested.
JB asked to Board to support businesses going into schools and also in offering work
experience and also raise the profile of Norwich and Ipswich as OAs.
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the presentation
To support the OAs by raising their profile with businesses
Chris Starkie (CS) presented the meeting with a paper covering the LEP’s work to date on
Brexit as requested at the last Board meeting.
The Board was advised that there were four main workstreams:
Intelligence - The LEP will continue to act as an information resource to government based
on engagement with business, business intermediaries and local authorities.
Advice - A plan is being developed to provide succinct information on areas of concern to
businesses including the impact of the future UK-EU relationship on companies.
Funding - The LEP is working both regionally and nationally to help shape the future of
funding and has been making the case to Defra regarding transitional funding.
Strategic Opportunities - The LEP is delivering on the ambitions set out in the Economic
Strategy and many actions will be impacted by Brexit either as opportunities or challenges.
Dominic Keen (DK) asked what the LEP could do to help business if market conditions
deteriorated significantly.
CS advised that the workstreams he cited were interlinked and funding would be used to
increase capacity for support as required in order to support companies across the LEP
Lindsey Rix (LR) asked if Board members were receiving questions about Brexit from
businesses. JW felt that businesses were still largely ignorant on the support available for
them now and this would need to be addressed by promoting the help which the LEP could
LR asked if an analysis of the LEPs current projects had been carried out. CS confirmed
that this would be completed.
Mark Bee (MB) noted that even small changes would have a significant impact of
businesses and it would be beneficial to have the information on these impacts collated in
one place.
David Richardson (DR) suggested that it would be useful to understand the benefits
available from early trade agreements.
JW asked if work was being done to understand the increased costs of doing trade, the
impacts of these on businesses and whether the Board can do anything to address these.
Johnathan Reynolds (JR) noted the importance of understanding impact on specific sectors
and whether any challenges can be exploited as game-changing opportunities.
The Board agreed:
To support the approach detailed in the paper
To receive details of the impact of Brexit on current LEP Projects
LEP Review
CS presented the paper included in the meeting pack detailing the progress made on
implementing the LEP Review.
LR asked whether the level of female representation was a specific target. Shan Lloyd (SL)
advised that this was an ambition and that Government recognised the challenges given the
number of Board members coming from Local Authorities which was outside the LEP’s
It was agreed to change the wording from “target” to ”ambition”.
The Board was advised that, in order to achieve the requirement of having two thirds of
board members from the private sector, it was proposed to amend the LEP’s articles of
association to class education members as private sector and to then to recruit 2 more
private sector members in order to increase the number of private sector board members to
Martin Wilby (MW) asked if the Board was able to be challenge the requirements laid down
for the split of private and public sector board members. CS advised some councils had
already asked for this to be reconsidered but that Government had reiterated that the
requirement would stand.
KM asked if the 3rd Sector was represented and was advised that these were included as
private sector.
NS stressed that this provided the opportunity to recruit 2 new high quality board members.
JW agreed and noted that this would also give the chance to expand the representation of
sectors on the board.
NS asked if he and DR needed to leave the room for the vote. It was agreed that this was
not a requirement.
DR asked for clarification re term of appointment for education members following the
JR noted that a change to the articles would be needed to allow Education board members
to send substitutes.
The meeting voted on the proposal to amend the LEP’s articles of association to increase
the number of private sector board members to 12.
10 Board members voted in favour of the proposal with 1 Board member voting against.
DF proposed that the Articles be amended to allow the Board Members representing
Education to be allowed to send deputies.
This was agreed by the meeting.
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report
To maintain its existing approach to the recruitment of its chair.
To appoint a deputy chair by February 28th 2019.
To amend the LEP’s articles of association to class education members as private
To amend the LEP’s articles of association to increase the number of private sector
board members to 12.
To amend the articles of association to allow education sector board members to
send deputies to board meetings
To amend the wording from “target” to ”ambition” in relation to the recruitment of
female board members
Agree to work towards increasing the female representation amongst private sector
board members.
Ask the LEP chair to write to education and local authority members to highlight the
gender balance recommendations in the LEP Review and ask for support in helping
the LEP board achieve the targets set by Government.
To receive clarification re the term of appointment for education members following
the reclassification
Capital Growth Programme Call
DR & NS left the room.
Chris Dashper (CD) reviewed the paper as included in the pack noting that the call would
focus on projects relating to skills, productivity and innovation.
DF noted the importance of infrastructure in the delivery of economic growth across the
region and stressed the importance of understanding how such projects would be delivered
if there were not prioritised in the call.
DF also asked for the mechanism for replying to applicants to be included.
CD noted that there would be other opportunities for infrastructure projects in future funding.
MW stressed the importance of importance of infrastructure in the delivery of productivity
gains and jobs. CD agreed but noted the call was focussing on delivering direct outputs
rather than these indirect outputs.
CS noted the £34m awarded to Norfolk County Council for infrastructure projects some of
which had been carried over from the previous financial year as it was unspent and there
was still slippage in the current ongoing projects.
The Board agreed:
To approve the launch of a focused call on Skills, Innovation and Productivity, to
allocate the remaining £19m of the Capital Growth Programme
For a process to be built into the call to ensure that all applicants received a timely
NS & DR returned to the room
Innovative Projects Call
CD reviewed the paper as included in the pack detailing the background to the call and the
source of the fund as Pot C revenue.
CD advised that this funding will be available again and will increase as occupancy of the
Enterprise Zones increases.
JW stressed her support for the proposal and noted that some projects may not
automatically have the sustained funding in place which was detailed in the paper but would
still benefit from support at this stage.
DK asked if there was a preference for the number and size of projects.
CD advised that there was no specific requirements and the focus would be on the outputs
and contribution to the delivery of the Economic Strategy.
JR asked if the call could be linked to the Innovation Board as projects are presented to the
Board and which cannot be funded.
CD advised that this had been considered but it was felt that the call could not be linked to
only one Board however the views of the Innovation Board could be fed in.
MB asked about the funding for expanding Broadband across Norfolk and Suffolk.
It was agreed that this fell under the capital projects call and that it was important to have
funding available for innovative projects.
NS noted that there were various projects going on to delivery digital connectivity locally and
it would be beneficial to pull these together.
The Board agreed:
To approve the specification and launch of a call for innovative growth projects to be
supported through EZ Pot C income
To approve the eligibility framework
Eastern Agritech Report
Rosanne Wijnberg (RW) updated the Board on the progress made on the Eastern Agritech
initiative and recommended to the Board that New Anglia continues to support the initiative
subject to the conditions laid down in the paper.
DF asked if there was an alternative option available which would maintain the programme if
the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority failed to secure the funding
detailed in the paper.
CD advised that if this occurred the framework allowed for the LEP to pick the initiative up
and deliver it alone.
DF clarified the reporting requirements and RW advised that reporting to the Board would
take place on a quarterly basis.
DR stressed the importance of equal branding for the project as historically the role of New
Anglia in the initiative had not been obvious.
The LEP Board agreed:
To approve the continuation of the programme in partnership with the Cambridge
and Peterborough Combined Authority, providing a financial contribution of £1m
towards the programme in 2018/19 under the terms laid out in the report
Chief Executive’s Report
CS presented his report to the Board and asked for questions.
CS provided an update on Banham Poultry and advised that he is meeting the MD on 19th
October to discuss development plans and investment.
DF advised the meeting that Emily Manser was leaving the LEP as Growth Deal Manager.
DF expressed the thanks of the Board for Emily for her hard work in delivering the
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report
October Programme Performance Reports
RW presented the report included in the meeting pack.
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the reports
Finance Report
RW reviewed the finance report and asked for questions from the Board.
DF asked if the further £200k from Government for the implementation of the LEP Review
had been factored in. CS advised that this would be done when confirmation was received.
RW confirmed to the Board that, at the AGM on 19th September, approval had been given
for the Board to appoint the new auditors and confirmed that Price Bailey had been
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the report
To approve the appointment of Price Bailey as auditors
Board Forward Plan
CS reviewed the items to be covered at the November Board meeting and that revisions to
the programme was ongoing
The Board agreed:
To note the content of the plan
Any Other Business
NS updated the Board on the Festival of Learning which is an annual event bringing
educators from around the UK and asked for the support of the Board.
CS advised that as part of the Nuclear Sector Deal £10m is being made available to support
the supply chain. Government has agreed that this should be divided up and a proportion of
this spent regionally and a business case has been submitted to this effect.
Next meeting:
Date and time of next meeting:
10.00am - 12.30pm, 21st November 2018
Venue: Keystone Innovation Centre, Thetford