New Anglia Skills Advisory Panel Meeting
21st November 2019
At East Coast College (Lowestoft campus)
In attendance:
Chris Gribble, Writers’ Centre Norwich
Christine Futter, Norfolk and Suffolk Care
Support (CF)
Clarke Willis, Swallow Barns (CW)
Corrienne Peasgood, City College Norwich
Cllr Mary Evans, Suffolk County Council
David Gartland (DG)
Cllr Stuart Clancy, Norfolk County Council
Guy Hazelhurst, EDF (GH)
Jan Feeney, Norfolk County Council (JF)
David Pomfret, College of West Anglia
Jason Parnell, Steadfast Training (JP)
Karen Gibson, Norfolk County Council (KG)
Dayle Bayliss, Dayle Bayliss Associates
Michael Gray, Suffolk County Council (MG)
Julia Nix, DWP (JN)
Natasha Waller, New Anglia LEP (NW)
Glen Todd, New Anglia LEP (GT)
Peter Basford, BDO Group (PB)
Jane Townsend, Easton & Otley College
Richard Bridgman, Warren Services (RB)
Stuart Smith, People with Energy (SS)
Judith Mobbs, Suffolk County Council (JM)
Tom Brown, Green Light Trust (TB)
Lucy Walker, ESFA (LW)
Tom Humphries, Norfolk County Council
Lynsey Sweales, representing Norfolk
Chamber of Commerce (LS)
Nikos Savvas, West Suffolk College (NS)
Peter Funnell, Oakmere Solutions (PF)
Claire Cullens, New Anglia LEP Board (CC)
Richard Self, agricultural representative
Emma Taylor, New Anglia LEP
Rachel Bunn, East Coast College (RB)
Vince Muspratt, Norfolk County Council
Simon Papworth, New Anglia LEP (SP)
Viv Gillespie, Suffolk New College (VG)
Yvonne Mason, The Mason Trust (YM)
Ben Miller, Konica Minolta (BM)
Item 1: Welcome, Introductions & Apologies - Approval of Minutes
Stuart Rimmer announced that he was going to Chair the meeting as Paul resigned at the last
meeting. He welcomed everyone to East Coast College.
Members introduced themselves as we had some new members and visitors.
The minutes of the meeting in September 2019 were approved. Actions arising:
- A diagram showing other linked groups to the SAP was circulated. There had been some
access issues reported so this will be recirculated.
- The terms of reference were adjusted following the September meeting and approved by
the LEP Board in October. They have subsequently been circulated and are on the LEP
- Declaration of interest and expectation forms - NW reminded everyone to complete and
return their forms ASAP. An audit is being undertaken.
- Private sector member roles had been circulated.
- Update on Suffolk Skills and Careers Festival - 84 exhibitors representing 12 sectors were in
attendance. 46 schools sent 4048 pupils. Feedback has been positive and the organisers and
LEP are meeting at the end of November to share information and plan for 2020.
- The appointment of a new Chair has been discussed by the LEP Board and nominations
were being sought by the private sector LEP Board members. A discussion around the
attributes took place with key points being:
Someone to listen, respond and collate the voices around the table.
Commitment, passion and action focussed.
Support with raising profile to the LEP Board and onto Government as necessary.
Keep a focus on main outputs, targets, and such like through the development of a
clear forward plan and agenda points.
NW to recirculate the information regarding linked groups.
All to complete declaration of interest and expectation forms and return to NW ASAP
Item 2: Targets for SAP - what do we need to monitor to achieve our vision
Michael Gray and Simon Papworth gave a presentation on the objectives of the SAP and potential
data that we can monitor. Simon had met with staff within NCC/SCC who review skills data so that a
partnership approach to collating data can be established. Both stressed that we need to have a high
level approach to recording of data as there is a vast array and pinpointing activity to changes in data
is really challenging.
SP was asked to reflect on the following:
- Producing a glossary to enhance understanding of evidence sources
- Whether mental health rates can be monitored
- Update timescales
- Setting of KPIs
- If Progress8 data is good, is there evidence that certain curriculum is being neglected
- Graduate destinations
- Monitoring productivity
- Regional v national skills levels - particularly shortages of skills sets
- Provider data
- Value for money on LEP skills investments
SP to meet with County Council colleagues and reflect on feedback and report back to the SAP in the
January 2020.
Item 3: ESF - how can the SAP assist/shape current and future projects
Emma Taylor (ET), Funding Manager at the LEP gave an update on key ESF information
- Delays in appraisals will mean that there will be a lot of activity towards the end of the
funding window.
- The National Reserve window is now open so ET is looking for projects to take forward.
- It is advised that employability programmes work with the Building Better Opportunities
(BBO) projects to learn lessons and reduce confusion/increase impact across Norfolk and
- Two calls are live currently - sector skills and career hub. They are likely to be
oversubscribed but Emma is happy to build projects for the national reserve.
There was discussion around having a staged approach to taking those furthest from the
workplace into employment and spending money where we can get the biggest impact.
Item 4 Forward Plan
NW presented a proposal on the forward plan. Although not exclusively, we would look to
focus meetings around an objective and include a sector update.
The forward plan will be reviewed in meetings moving forward but from panel discussions a
focus of the January meeting was determined:
NW to develop an agenda point for January around the apprenticeship landscape - who is
responsible for apprenticeships in the LEP and county councils plus an introduction to levy
MG to provide an update on the Pye Tait report and how it can build on the sector skills
Item 5: Apprenticeship Levy Sharing Update
Alison Ward has been appointed to New Anglia LEP as our Apprenticeship Levy Transfer
Coordinator and will start on December 2nd.
Our ambition is to have 50 transfers taking place in Norfolk and Suffolk over the next year
and 100 in the following. NW stressed that we didn’t have to be involved in these transfers if
existing arrangements were in place but we would broker additional relationships.
A date for a steering group meeting has been determined and also with providers but NW is
keen for Alison to be in post to confirm plans before these are formalised.
Interested parties to contact NW for further information.
Item 6: Skills Deal
MG gave an update on the Skills Deal underspend and that they were seeking applications
for the underspend from the current successful projects (Deadline 22/11/2019).
There was discussion about the appraisal process and potential conflicts of interest if panel
members took part in this process.
MG to speak to NW about the appraisal process.
Item 7: Energy Update
SR gave a brief update on the Energy Centre (further info was given on the subsequent tour)
and SS set the context in terms of governance changes in some of the energy groups. These
should support progress with the sector skills plan recommendations.
RB gave impressive data on the number of companies who have visited the centre to date
(126) and that many of these are offering support with delivery of courses. Specialist training
at different levels and focus was being revamped to ensure that it is up to date for the
ECC are keen to support from primary schools upwards and are planning to run Big Bang
events in 2020.
The intensive transition programme supported by the Skills Deal had been really successful
with nearly all students progressing to employment or further study.
Many Offshore Wind Week events were taking place in the Centre this week.
SR thanked the LEP once more for their input - it is truly opening new doors to them and
there will be further announcements on 22/11/2019.
Item 9: AOB
SR thanked everyone for attending and offered a tour of the new facilities.