Support our Apprenticeship Levy Transfer scheme

Icon Red diamond
 New Anglia LEP’s Apprenticeship Levy Transfer Scheme allows an organisation’s unspent funds to be transferred to local SMEs so they can offer training opportunities and jobs to people who are not in work. 

If you are an SME or have used all of your levy and would like to employ an apprentice or upskill existing staff, the training costs of the apprenticeship can be covered through our scheme.

The LEP can support you to fully understand the responsibilities of employing an apprentice, and how the funding will support you and your business. We can guide you through the process of registering with the Government Gateway and help find the training provider that best suits your needs.

Download our Apprenticeship Levy Scheme factsheet for employers here 

To discuss the scheme and apprenticeships, contact Alison Ward on 07901 207114 or email [email protected]

apprenticeship levy infographics

How it works:

  • The transferred funds can only be used to fund apprenticeship training and assessment.
  • As the receiving employer, you will need to set up an account with the Apprenticeship Service to receive the transfer and pay for apprenticeship training. 

https://accounts.manage-apprenticeships.service.gov.uk/service/index

  • Before setting up your account, you will need your organisation’s Government Gateway user ID and password. Your payroll or finance department should have this information. 
  • If your organisation has a payroll agent, do not use the agent’s login details. You will need to register for the HMRC’s online service if you do not already have Government Gateway credentials.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services/register

 

  • As the receiving employer, you will need to sign an agreement with the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA). There will be a prompt to do this once you have set up your account. 
  • The funds are for an identified apprentice, along with the apprenticeship standard they are completing. 
  • As the receiving employer, you will select the training provider.
  • Once set up with the Apprenticeship Service, you will be able to manage and view transactions in your account and invite other members of your team to join the account.
  • If the apprenticeship stops e.g., the apprentice leaves the company, the funding will stop. You will not need to pay back any funds to the transferring employer.
  • If the employer sending you the money runs out of funds, the ESFA will request you make a 5% contribution to the cost of the apprenticeship training for each month the transfer employer does not have enough funds to transfer. The Government will pay the remaining 95%. 
  • The transfer can only fund up to the funding band maximum of the standard. If the cost of the training is more, you will have to pay the difference to the selected training provider.
  • There is no restriction on the number of apprentices you employ or use transfer funding for.

Things to consider:

  • As an employer, you must consider carefully whether your organisation can support the training of an apprentice for the duration of the apprenticeship.
  • An apprentice can add value to your company and help you to grow your business.
  • If you employ a young person between the age of 16-18 or 19-24 and who has previously been in care, or who has an Education, Health and Care plan, you maybe eligible for additional funding through local and government initiatives. 

Useful websites:

Government guidance on levy transfer:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transferring-apprenticeship-service-funds#employers-who-want-to-receive-a-transfer

Apprenticeship Funding Bands

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apprenticeship-funding-bands

ESFA Funding Rules

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apprenticeship-funding-rules

 

Want to know more about apprenticeships?